The Edgefield County Historical Society was founded in 1939 and is one of the oldest
societies in the State. Its headquarters are at Magnolia Dale in Edgefield which it has owned since 1960. It also owns the
Joanne T. Rainsford Discovery Center which is operated by the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor and operates three
living history projects: the Old Edgefield Pottery, the Village Blacksmith and Carpenter’s Stand.
The Historical Society works with various partners, including
the Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society, the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor and other historical societies
throughout the region.